Verizon loaned me with a Google Pixel XL for my travels. Lark Hotels provided me with a complimentary overnight stay. All opinions are my own
Hello, friends! My blogging BFF and I had the most lovely girls’ weekend in Newport, Rhode Island this past weekend and I’ve come out with a new city guide. In addition to being jazzed about some girl time, I was also excited to travel with the Google Pixel XL I had on loan from Verizon. The Pixel Xl is the perfect phone for traveling – it has a long-lasting battery, which is perfect for long days out exploring, and a high-quality camera, which means you don’t have to lug around a separate camera.
All of the photos in this post and video footage in my travel vlog (watch it here) were taken on the Pixel and I’m seriously impressed. I was able to travel and take Instagramable photos without needing to lug around my Canon DSLR. Plus, all of the photos automatically sync to my Google Drive/Photos, which makes backup majorly easy.
Where to Stay
The Attwaterhere – A Lark Hotels property, The Attwater is a gorgeous place for your trip to Newport. The hotel has loads of natural light and the most amazingly beautiful rooms. Bright and colorful, the decor is perfect for a beach-town stay. As always with Lark, the staff was absolutely lovely and they serve small plates for breakfast, which is an absolute added perk. While not right on the water, it’s only a five-minute walk. Close to the action but removed enough from the hustle and bustle if you want a bit of quiet. You can read a full recap of our stay here.
Where to Eat and Drink
- Diego’s – This is the perfect spot for lunch. The guacamole was fresh and the fish tacos were so filling. We also got the pork belly tacos, and they were equally delicious. Plus, the portion sizes are generous, which is the way it should always be.
- Midtown Oyster Bar – Midtown Oyster Bar is a cozy spot for drinks and dinner. We weren’t the only ones who got the memo about this spot – it was absolutely bustling and we weren’t able to get a table until 8PM but were lucky enough to find two spots at the bar before our meal.
- Wharf Pub – So we didn’t go here during our trip, but I have been here before. It has tasty gastropubby American food, which is always delicious.
Where to Shop
- Shore Soap Co. – This is a charming little store with handmade soaps, lotions and more. There were a few things I had to restrain myself from purchasing since I’m on a shopping ban, but I will be back one day!
- Farmaesthetics – This is the most charming beauty store– it made me want to soak in a luxurious bath. Sadly I lacked a bath and the ability to purchase anything, but I already own and love their Blemish Tincture.
- Portobello Jewelers – We stopped in here while walking along Thames St. The two woman working were very friendly and we loved looking at both the modern and vintage jewels.
- Michael Hayes – Agnes and I wanted to purchase so many pieces of clothing in here. We found the most gorgeous burgundy leather jacket but sadly both left empty handed. Damn you, shopping ban!
- Thames St and Bellevue Ave – Just walk down both roads and you’ll have more shopping options than you need!
What to Do and See
- Newport Mansions – We toured The Breakers and dear god was it amazing. I can’t believe it was a family’s nome — it could fit a small village. I wish we had time to visit all of them, but if you’re short on time, stop by The Breakers.
- Ocean Drive – What’s more fun than looking at a bunch of beach-side mansions you could never afford? Nothing!
- Cliff Walk – After driving for 10 miles, get out and stretch your legs during a stroll along the Cliff Walk.
Rumor Has It
We didn’t have time to check out everything, so here are recommendations from other peeps.